Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread
The other morning I had the baking itch. It’s not uncommon here, I often get the baking itch. And when the itch calls, I scratch.
While the baking itch comes often in this house, that usually means whipping up something out of nothing. Well, “nothing” in the sense of “let’s scramble around my kitchen, see what I have and throw something together”.
We always have apples in our house, and I had just made banana bread recently, so a loaf of warm apple-y bread seemed like the way to go.
I think next time, I would even serve it with apple butter. Love me some apple butter! Is that southern of me?
This whole wheat quick bread is easy to throw together, and was something everyone enjoyed. My kids ate the leftovers the next morning as part of their breakfast with some yogurt.
- 1 1/2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 C. Coconut Sugar, Splenda, or sweetener of choice that measures like sugar.
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tea. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 C. Milk of choice (I used skim)
- 2. Tea. Vinegar
- 1 Tea. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Canola or Coconut Oil (softened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine milk + vinegar in a bowl, whisk and set aside. (You can just use buttermilk if you choose here instead, OR just leave the vinegar out altogether).
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate large bowl.
- Combine beaten eggs, applesauce, and oil with milk mixture. Stir well.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined loaf pan.
- Slice an apple into thin slices and push them softly into the top of the batter - sprinkle with more cinnamon if you wish.
- Bake at 350 for about 45-50 mins. (Mine took 50 mins in my own oven in a glass loaf pan).
I’ve only made this bread once, but it’s so easy and there’s so many different things you could do with it – I know I’ll be making it soon and breaking out that apple butter next time around.
You could try these variations:
- Add nuts (no nuts here because my son was eating it, and he has an allergy)
- You could try cutting back on the oil to 1/4 c. and using 3/4 c. applesauce total for even more apple-y flavor
- Use apple pie spice instead of just cinnamon
- Add raisins, or even diced apples into the loaf as well
- Add a little more granular sweetener of choice if it suits your tastes.
And yes, before someone comments on it – I labeled this as whole wheat even though I use a 1/2 C. of AP flour. This is just the way I choose to make most of my breads for my family, you can certainly do all whole wheat and the results will be just as tasty.
Do you like apple butter?
What’s your favorite kind of apples?
Did you know apple-y is officially the word of the day? 😛
PS: You can get a lot of your goodies to make this and my other recipes at Vitacost. If you’ve never shopped at Vitacost – do yourself a favor and go here first and sign up. You’ll receive $10 off of $30 – and you can also extend this offer to your friends later!